Sunday, January 16, 2011

Eleven tidbits for 2011

1. We had a blast at my parents' house during Christmas break. One highlight was taking pictures of ourselves walking on iced-over bodies of water. This just never got old. Here we on the West Virginia side of the Potomac:
We went to some other ponds and did the same thing, and now I have about 50 photos of these ice-walks. Who knows why this is so fun?

2. On the way home, Eric and I drove through the night while the kids slept. We had never tried this strategy before, but it turned out to be a nice deal--we probably saved a couple hours and $40 or so on missed bathroom/snack stops!

3. Eric bought me this book for Christmas, and it's since become my dear companion. I've never been so efficient in my housecleaning/organizing efforts. Eric has ordered me two other titles by this author, and I can't wait to start them! Also, our baby is due in ten days. Efficiency is paramount here if I'm going to keep things running smoothly. Please, please be a happy baby. 


4. The other day Jacob woke up before the other boys, and we spent an unusually quiet morning alone, talking over breakfast and reading together. I walked him to the bus stop in the snow, and when I walked back I saw our two sets of footprints walking toward the bus and only my set walking back. I felt a sad tenderness then, knowing that I wouldn't see my boy until that afternoon.

5. Why Jacob Is a Good Boy tidbit #1: When I told him that I would help him with piano if he would commit to 20 minutes of independent practice every day, he asked, "But can't I do more than 20 minutes? I mean, is there a maximum?"

6. Why Jacob Is a Good Boy tidbit #2: Last night Eric was on overnight call and up for most of the night. I was also up for most of the night enjoying some false labor. When Jacob woke up at 6:30, I asked him to get Adam out of his crib. So Jacob got Adam out of the crib, brought him downstairs, fed him breakfast, and played with him for an entire hour while I slept. The kid should be sainted.

7. Speaking of pregnancy, why did no one tell me that my body was going to fall apart on my fifth? Some days I have to walk around the house from furniture piece to furniture piece because I simply cannot move my joints. Blood vessels are protruding everywhere, and I feel like I've been in labor for days! My OB prescribed me the highest grade of compression stockings available, and they have helped immensely. I will not post a picture of them, but I will tell you that they are darling. Actually, no, they're not. Actually they would pair perfectly with these knock-outs:    
Also, I'm sorry for complaining. I really don't mind--it's mostly just alarming to me how much function is being lost! But aren't babies the most beautiful things in creation? I wish that we could think of a beautiful name for him. Someone suggested that Quentin would be a distinctive name for a fifth son, but Quentin Brinton? I hope that he arrives looking like a name and that we can just bestow on him. 

8. Adam is building a vocabulary of post-baby words, words beyond the "mama," "dada," "ball," and "duck" set. My favorites: "moose," "tractor," and "SpongeBob" (he learned this under the tutelage of his doting older brothers). He has also started to enjoy fingerplays and songs like "The Ensy-wensy Spider" and "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes." Cutie.

9. One afternoon I was in the garage tidying up and Zachary called out to me, "Mom! Come here quickly! Come soooo quickly!" When I rushed in, he was sitting at the piano with a few chairs lined up behind the piano bench. "Mom! When Adam pushes the high keys on the piano, he steers our ship that way and he is steering us right into a SHARK!" When I smiled and made no movement to redirect them, Zachary resigned, "Oh well. I guess we'll just have to die." Here's Michael in his pirate finery: 

10. Pinewood derby is coming up! Patient Jacob and Zachary wait for moments when Eric can help them with their cars--aren't they manly out there in the sub-freezing garage polishing axles?

11. Each year I make a major resolution--one that, if the others fall through, I will be sure to keep. This year I am working on being calm. Even if I sell twenty articles and run a marathon and become a rock star organist this year (and wouldn't that all be so fun!), I won't be doing well unless I can be calm. I want the kids and Eric to feel peace in our home, not stress inherited from my needlessly taking on extra responsibilities! I have some simple sub-goals to help me. We'll see how it goes.

9 comments:

Mahaffey Family said...

Oh compression stockings! I LIVED in those my last 2 pregnancies! I hope baby comes soon for you, and without any more false labor!

Sherrie said...

#5 changes things, that's for sure!

Loved the story about the shark - that's so Zachary!

Ali said...

Oh man, if I was wearing some serious compression stocking at #2, what's my future going to bring!?! I'm scared!

I was also glad to hear that you are still pregnant. I was seriously starting to wonder because you hadn't mentioned it lately, and you look SO thin in your pictures. Have you gained any weight? Maybe you haven't had time. :) Can't wait to hear what you name him!

Good luck!!! Wish I was there to come clean your house for you and bring you food. :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the body. I lament the loss of elasticity in my abdomen every time I bend over. What I did for love. I'm thinking about your baby names -- it's so hard with boys, and I know your families have used up a lot of good boy names, too. I really like all of my boys' names, if that helps (is that a ridiculous thing to say?). My next one was going to be William :) Enjoy the next few weeks! I love new baby times almost more than any other.

Erin said...

I almost cried reading about the footprints in the snow, that is so sweet. I love little things like that! So I have a question- how do you know it's false labor? I'm wondering for my 2nd time around, because my 1st was coined "false labor" and Jack came 2 days later after it never stopped.

Amy Brinton said...

Sara, Mom, and Liz: you guys are the experts on the baby #5 (and beyond). Thanks for commenting and making me feel like having this many children is a reasonable thing to do.

Ali, I only post the pictures where I look thin! I wish that you were here, too, even if you weren't cleaning or cooking.

Liz, I love your boys' names, too! And I love your boys--I miss singing with them in Primary.

Erin, 3 out of my 4 kids have been induced, and I had zero false labor with the one that wasn't induced (my first). So I don't know how to tell. I've probably showered and put on make-up in the middle of the night half a dozen times because I thought that certainly this was "it," but then the contractions would slow. Is that embarrassing?

Heather W said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather W said...

What a delightful post, aside from the protruding veins. It seems like so many families I know have 5 kids. Maybe moms just can't take it any more after that point?! It is doubtful I'll get there at my current snail's pace.

I like the name Quentin.

Best wishes for an easy delivery and a healthy baby!

Jill said...

I absolutely adored this post other than hearing of the labor issues. You're amazing! I'm glad to hear that Jacob is being a big helper. I now walk Dallas to the bus stop and have similar thoughts, but enjoy going home to my two little snoozers. It's so fun that we are all so excited to get him in the afternoon also. Best of luck with the name! Did you make the pirate costume? I LOVE it! If so, did you use a pattern or make it up yourself? Thanks for posting the book suggestion; I'm struggling myself in that area right now.