Sunday, January 1, 2012

People are kind

Today I went to the church to practice the organ, but the key wasn't in the bench where it belongs. After scouring the chapel and calling half a dozen people about it, I came home discouraged. Much to my embarrassment, I found the organ key--on my key hook at home! I sheepishly called the music chairperson, who had been calling around for the past two hours, and told her that I had found it. "Well, it happens," she said cheerily. What a great response. It's just the sort of kindness that has been blessing our family over the past year, and especially in the last month.  

When we learned that Max would need to begin CIC (clean intermittent catheterization), we stayed home from our activities for a few days and focused on getting the new routine down. I never imagined that the learning curve would be so steep! My nurse practitioner friend drove over to my house (with her three kids in tow) and helped me place the catheter on the first day. The first time took me several tries over a period of about 15 minutes. When I finally got it, I cried. Then she cried. "Day one," she said. 

She continued to help me over the first couple weeks, meeting me after we got our kids from preschool or coming to my home. Another friend helped me on the days that our sons do "project days" together. My dear neighbor came over once, too. Some times it would take an hour from start to finish, if I drove to someone's home for help or if I just couldn't get it. After each catheterization was done, I would start dreading the next time, only a few hours away. One friend sensed how the catheter was taking over my life and made me dinner one night--it was much appreciated! The learning curve has plateaued now, thank goodness. And after reviewing the first sheet of urine volumes, the urology team agreed that we would only have to catheterize Max three times a day instead of four--happy news! 
     As I'm writing this, I feel physically and emotionally lighter. I feel uplifted by friends who have carried me through this month. I'm grateful for prayer and for God's watchful care.

Enjoy a little clip of Max and start to see why everyone loves him:
He's just a little slice of heaven.

2 comments:

Mahaffey Family said...

Amy, your strength amazes me! I am so glad you have kind support around you. I am constantly in awe of you as I read your blog....your an amazing woman!

Erin said...

Amy, I feel terrible for not commenting sooner. I've neglected blogger for the past few weeks, and when I read your touching posts about Max and kind people, I felt like crying! I can't imagine going thru all that you have, and not feeling overwhelmed by it all. I'm so happy you have so many kind friends and neighbors to help you. I truly wish I was there to give you a hug, and help out. Please keep sharing your thoughts, for some reason that always lightens the burden. Love you!