Saturday, May 26, 2012

Third Annual Rainy-day Regatta

The Rainy-day Regatta is an enormously fun but simple tradition: each spring we collect a pile of our most interesting recycling items 

and spend a day boat building. 
I am kicking myself for not taking better pictures of the boys' boats! I love the details like the plastic raisin package that Jacob taped to a hanger for his mast and the margarine tub "lifeboats" that Zachary tethered to his cruise ship. Here we are setting out to sail them:
Adam couldn't bring himself to sail his craft into the unknown: he was traumatized when some boats got away from us.
We were able to recover most of them,
but some boats went so far that we couldn't get them back before nightfall--two spent a night on the pond. Jacob and I went jogging the next morning and rescued them with broomsticks, which we also used to scrape off the (gulp!) leeches that had adhered themselves overnight. Next year I'm going to tie fishing line to each boat so that I can reel them in!

No comments: