Sunday, August 19, 2012

Utah farewell trip

Eric's dad was recently called as mission president in Vladivostok, Russia--Eric's mission! He and Eric's mom are there now, moving forward with the mission work with relentless energy. Before they left, all the children and grandkids gathered to see them off. What a memorable time we had!

We created some fun adventures hiking (Donut Falls and Ensign Peak!);
playing ball, racing, and relaxing at the Bonneville Salt Flats;
visiting the Aviary (It's grown! I love the owl forest.),
frying ourselves at the Great Salt Lake;
enjoying Temple Square (I went to the temple alone one morning and Eric sneakily showed up later);
and celebrating both the mission call and our nephew's baptism!
Adventures aside, our kids soaked in impromptu moments like rolling in the grass

and wearing silly Mater hats with cousins! Heaven on earth.
 
We were also thrilled to be able to visit my sweet grandma
and spend an afternoon with my family, who coincidentally were driving through Utah that week!
And my sisters-in-law and I had an absolute BLAST catering the missionary farewell reception. (Stephanie planned it all. The rest of us were helpers.) Girls, let's go into business when the kids are grown! 
Grandpa and Nana, we thrill at reading your blogposts and emails. We miss you dearly but love the work that you are doing! Мы любим вас! (Can blogger handle Cyrillic?)

Endnote comic relief:
Eric came home two days before me and the boys, which provided us both with some instructive stress. Eric forgot his house key and had to break into our house by stacking the neighbor's (full) garbage can on top of our back deck, then stacking suitcases on top of that, climbing on the roof, and getting into a bedroom window (at midnight, of course).
The flying wasn't really a problem for me and the boys. When I stressed the importance of helping mommy on our flights home, they promised that they would be "as quiet as a row of five grannies" (their simile). Ha! They were very good. I did feel a little fragile when I didn't know where the van was parked (I hadn't parked it) and had an overflowing smartcart, three car seats, three carry-ons, and five kids in tow. Then an angel man showed up and walked clear out to the boonies lot, clicking my car keys to find the van, and then drove it to me. (Yes, I gave my van keys to a complete stranger and let him drive my car.)

No comments: