Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The gift

This is a quick post, a little gateway back into blogging after my many months' absence. I've tried several times to write this post but found it too tender for words. Although I'm not sure that I've found them, I want to record how deeply blessed I feel for the gift of the past several months.

In November I became bedridden with a debilitating weakness, and, in the following weeks, by excruciating joint pain. A month later I was diagnosed with an auto-immune condition that I was told would resolve in 2 to 6 months, with probable flare-ups throughout my life. This episode lasted for 5 months. This photo reminds me of how broken and weak I felt during that time:
Some days I could scarcely move, much less walk! Below is a photo taken later, on a "good" day when I was able to get out and sit in the temple. Eric and I kept our reservations for a weekend 10-year-anniversary trip to D.C. and delighted in being together, despite my condition. Eric attended to me so gently.
At home I relied on dear friends. My friend, Ann, came every morning for 5 hours for a period of six weeks:
There were several other women in my home every day during those months. Women bought groceries, ran errands, folded laundry, helped the children, taught preschool, and made meals. One friend, seeing that I had missed the trash pick-up, loaded up our trash bags in her trunk and hauled them away! Friends addressed Christmas cards, picked up books for the kids at the library, and helped the children practice. They took the boys on outings, read to them, and helped them do their chores. I remember reaching into my linen closet one day to find four different styles of folded towels: the marks of four kind, humble friends quietly serving. I can't think of it without tears. 

My dear sister Michelle came here to live for a few months so that my friends could relax! Like Ann, Michelle was an angel to us. 

I began receiving alleviating steroid injections in January; and for the last eight weeks, I've been completely healthy, unmedicated. It seems a miracle that I can run and swim, play baseball, camp, and hike. 

Before this happened I was praying diligently to know God's will for me. I feel like He answered my prayers miraculously. The many acts of love shown me have helped me see God's vision of what I can become. The scriptures are suddenly more alive to me; small blessings are magnified. I am especially grateful for the blessing of the gospel--and generous, loving dear ones, including my family. I promise that the next post will be about those cute boys and not about me! But I couldn't leave out this blessed time from our family history. It has been a true gift, a blessing straight from heaven.

6 comments:

Ali said...

So beautiful, Amy! You are an amazing person...seriously the toughest I've met. I'm so glad to hear you are doing well. I love you and think of you often!

Joey/Denny/Emma said...

Oh Amy. What an excruciating ordeal. And what a gift, indeed, to be relieved from pain and to have the love and support of so many extraordinary people in your life. Wishing you continued good health!

Erin said...

Amy, I've missed reading your blog posts these past few months, and to learn the reason behind your absence is humbling. I'm so sorry you were suffering physically, but am inspired by your testimony of the mercies you received and the sisters who helped you. I'm so glad you're feeling strong again. You're one of the most physically and spiritually strong women I know! Love you.

amy said...

Amy Im so sorry you had to go through that. I too at the same time was going through a bend in my road as I like to call it. In November (21st our 21st wedding anniversary) I was told I had APML or Leukemia. I spent 42 day in the Huntsman cancer hospital before I was able to come home Christmas eve. You said it so well in your blog about good friends and family. God's Tender Mercies are many. I am so glad that you are doing so well now and are back to doing the things you love. I will pray for you that you will continue to get stronger and stronger.

liz said...

So glad for a feed reader so I didn't miss this. I have missed hearing from you and thought you must just be busy with your boys. Stunned to hear that you've had such a time of it. Amazed that you've already put it in perspective so beautifully. We're in the middle of a busy/stressful time, unexpectedly moving back to Utah, and perspective is a help to me as well, so thank you for that. We'll be praying for you to continue to be well for yourself and your family. Miss you and hope we'll get a chance to see you sometime soon!!

Sarah said...

Dear, sweet, wonderful Amy. I am SO sorry to hear of this valley in your road - but pleased and relieved beyond words to hear that you've come out on top! So glad to know you've been in good hands - both those of your dear family and friends surrounding you, as well as our Father in Heaven. What a relief that you are doing better! I'm praying your good health continues and you can go on enjoying your beautiful family!! Also - Congratulations on Eric's graduation!! How exciting! What are your plans - will you be staying there? Or moving for a new job? Hope all is well! :)