Saturday, May 16, 2009

Weekly report card

Trying to fit all of our earthly belongings into a 16' by 8' trailer: D-
After three days of repacking, squeezing, and tossing (with MUCH help from Eric's parents and our friends), we finally rented a little trailer to tote the "necessities" that wouldn't fit in our POD. Besides the 8 mpg drop in our gas milage, it has been a pretty good deal. Plus, now we're part of the U-haul club on the road.

Saying goodbye to Salt Lake friends and family: F
Eric told me that I needed to stop crying just after I'd said goodbye to people--I should cry in front of them so that they know that I care. So I guess that I have to work on my farewell etiquette. Sorry if you were offended; I miss you.

Driving the scenic byways: A+
Our route has taken us through six national parks so far. I tend to toss around the term "amazing" without thinking of its meaning, but I can honestly use it here. Absolutely amazing! Even the roadblocks are picture-worthy:

Staying up all night in a hotel room with a vomiting baby: C-
This was terribly annoying, but at least I didn't have to wash the soiled sheets and towels! Plus, thank heaven, he was over it in one night.

Visiting Yellowstone: A
Seeing over 3,000 gallons of boiling water shoot upwards of 100 feet in the air amazed everyone except Michael, who was most interested in his own tennis shoes.
Yellowstone Lake and the Lower Falls were other favorites. I have to laugh at this next picture, however, where two people are crying and two are trying not to. Did I mention that it was freezing cold up there? We drove through a blizzard (and eight feet of snow pack on either side of the road!) to get to Old Faithful and the falls.

Implementing the "High Five" behavior system: A+
Every time the kids do something heroic (telling us that they have to go to the bathroom in good time, eating all their food, having a good attitude), they get a hand die-cut (a "high five"). After they collect five high fives, they can choose a prize from the prize bag. This has been the first time that I've successfully implemented an incentive program for the kids. A huge hit.

Stopping by Mount Rushmore: A+
Great faces, great places.
And really clean walkways.

Maintaining hotel loyalty: C
Super 8 is fairly inexpensive, but not so ghetto that you feel dirtier leaving than when you came. So we've gone straight Super 8 this time, with varying success. The first two places were nice: last night we got a huge suite (bargained down to the price of a single room!) at a place with a pool, internet, breakfast, the works. Tonight we're in a place that Eric says is "nice, for Russia"; I won't let the kids step on the bathroom floor without shoes on, and I think that there are bite marks in the ice container. Maybe tomorrow we'll try a Travelodge.

Reading my grandmother's book recommendation: A+ (so far)
Such a rich experiment in characterization and place has coupled perfectly with my interest in the people and places that we're enjoying on this trip. You must read it and call me to talk about it!

3 comments:

Timani said...

Amy, I love this post! Your "High Five" is brilliant! I need to try that.
Glad you had family and friends to help you pack and have a U-haul for the rest of your necessities.
Nice bargain on the single priced huge suite, you have to share your bargaining secrets. Your "nice for Russia" room sounds horrid...I hope you don't have another one like that again! Someday we can afford to be hotel snobs.

Erin said...

I didn't realize you were moving already! Does your cross-country trip take you to scenic Texas? We have trees here- I mean if you're not too spoiled by all the mountains and waterfalls you've been seeing, you should check it out.

Jill said...

You and Eric are so good at seeing the sites on your car trips. I usually have tunnel vision from point A to point B. Good luck on the trip and the successful incentive program! I'd like to try to that one.