Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Three weeks in ten pictures

May 18: We stop in Madison, Wisconsin, where the kids enjoy the (free!) zoo. We venture around the city and check out possible neighborhoods for our move next year.
May 19: How could we pass up this charming locally-owned Ohio hotel? We arrive in Maryland the next day.May 23: Eric receives his M.D. His dad, also a U of U Medical School graduate, hoods him.
May 25: Eric and I leave for a Northern European Capitals cruise. For the first four days, I cry every time I see young children because I miss my little ones.
May 26–29: We enjoy port stops in Copenhagen, Stockholm, and Helsinki. In Copenhagen, we see the Christus statue that became the inspiration for Temple Square replica. After touring the Swedish Royal Palace, we sit and watch the sailboats (above). Helsinki's 1952 Olympic tower and underground Dome Church amaze us.
May 30–31: We tour St. Petersburg, where Eric acts as a handy Russian interpreter. Here, we pause to view the Baltic from Peterhof, Peter the Great's massive summer estate. We also explore the Hermitage and the Peter-Paul Fortress.
June 1–2: We take in Tallinn, Estonia and Gdansk, Poland. In Tallinn we rent a seven-seater bicycle and become instant celebrities as we clamor down the cobblestone streets (above). A gypsy child in Poland chases me down the street trying to spit on me.
June 3–4: We enjoy Oslo, where we see one of four originals of Munch's The Scream and actual Viking vessels. On our way out, we observe the Norwegian fjords from our balcony. June 5: We tour Copenhagen again. This time we venture out on the corkscrew spire of the Church of Our Savior, which offers views of the entire city. We fly back to Maryland, where I cling to the precious boys.
June 7: We finalize lease papers for a cute townhome. We'll move there next month.

9 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

What an amazing trip- hope yall had a blast! And your townhome looks cute!! Good luck with your move and congrats on hubby finishing school- im sure that is a relief!!

Jen Howick said...

oh, we miss you so much! It was so fun to see all these pictures though. That 7 seat bike ROCKS though I don't quite understand it. It looks like a circle, how does it work? I would like to get me one of those for my family! Your townhome is adorable too! I drove passed your house yesterday out delivering flyers for Enrichment. It's still as cute as ever!

Corrine said...

ummm... WAY FUN!! and I'm jealous! ;)

I am glad you had fun. I am glad you are back blogging. I've missed your updates. Your new home looks adorable!

Timani said...

I was so glad to see you at graduation. I have a video of Eric being hooded...I started filming with Eric, didn't want to miss Dan.

Your cruise sounds FABULOUS! Your townhouse is so cute.

Erin said...

What an awesome trip, sounds like soooo much fun. Glad to hear you arrived in Maryland and found a fabulous townhome. Sounds like you've been real busy!

Amy Brinton said...

The 7-seater bike is called a Cobi, and the riders sit in a circle and pedal to turn a huge chain. There is one driver who steers. It's as wide as a car, so you ride in a regular lane. It's amazingly fun, but it also costs $12,800! We rented ours for $25 an hour, which we thought was a deal. I wonder if there are places in the states where they're available to rent?

Ali said...

Hey! You have been busy. No worries on not seeing you before you left, but we'll definitely want to see you next time you're in SLC. How's the pregnancy going? You don't even look pregnant in any of those pictures. Oh, how you inspire me towards fitness. Good luck with everything. Love you...Ali

Jill said...

Wow, I thought you were still busy with moving and finding a new place. I didn't realized that you had added graduation and traveling Europe to the list as well. I'm so glad to see that you're now back with your cute little boys and see that looking adorable and barely even showing that you're pregnant! I hope all is falling into place for you and Eric.

Kim said...

Folks, the reason why Amy doesn't look pregnant is because I graciously offered to carry a portion of her baby weight for her. You see, while she's only up a handful of pounds, I've packed on dozens. All in the name of sisterhood, my friends.