Saturday, June 27, 2009

Good women

This week I walked into my new OB's waiting room to find about a dozen women watching The Bold and the Beautiful. I soon overheard casual conversations about previous abortions and broken marriages. The room smelled of smoke. I am not exaggerating when I say that over half of the women were heavily tattooed, a third of them were pregnant teens, and all of them looked miserable. I felt like a child who, expecting a Disney fairy tale, had accidentally walked into an R-rated drama.

I was interested, later in the week, to read about some experiences that friends have had recently: one friend is tending her eight children and trying to sell her home while her husband begins his residency in another state; another friend, surprised by a quick labor, had to deliver her baby son on her bathroom floor; and another friend's mother tragically lost a finger in an accident. Yet each of these amazing women have expressed courage and optimism during their (unexpected and externally-caused) challenges. I feel great love for their examples. As I reflected further on these women, I realized another trait that each of them shares: each has amazing children. Kind, optimistic, obedient children! What a blessing these mothers give their families--because of their goodness, their children have also learned to 1) be moral in order to avoid unnecessary challenges and 2) be optimistic even during pressing trials. I doubt that the gloomy women in the OB office could have been raised by such women.

1 comment:

Timani said...

Thank you! You most definitely are a good woman!

Wow, what an experience in the docs office. Did you want to "click your heels 3 times" and be transported back? Hopefully your doctor was relieved to see you and get a break from the normal clientele.

When I was in my early 20s my doc had a teen patient with a huge snake tattoo around her entire neck (quite scary looking). I witnessed her and our doc arguing at the receptionists desk trying to get him to excuse her from school for the next month for maternity leave. He flatly refused. She was mad! He forcefully said, "you need to go to school! I don't care if you just had a baby, you need to be in school."