Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The arrival of the POD and my shameless idolatry

Last week we arrived at our townhouse with some suitcases and laundry baskets. The children, typically, needed little to involve their interest:
I, on the other hand, was ready to bid the nomadic life goodbye. All this living out of suitcases business has been nice, but seriously, I wanted to see my overstuffed ottoman! My blue cookbook stand! The Museum of Art rowboat piece! And, oh, the books--hundreds of my books! I almost salivated the next morning as the POD backed in.
The day was too hot for moving. The gum on the pavement was beginning to melt, and the ice cream man was making more money than he should have.
But eight hours, four Papa John's pizzas, and six liters of soda later,
it was all here! Our bath towels and bed sheets, the tent and camping chairs, the framed pictures and the world globe--everything was here!
And then, a tinge of guilt: am I shallow to adore these boxes? Didn't I just tell my children about an English girl who left home with one little cherished sugar bowl? Didn't I herald her proper focus and bravery? And aren't I into Thoreau or something? How could it be that I didn't feel like I was home until I had some butcher paper and markers?
I like to think that my idolatry stems from the intangible aspects of my things, like the family memories associated with them. Perhaps the objects create a satisfying, familiar sense of place? Or it could be just plain old, selfish materialism: ship me out to the fourth circle, please! All I can say is that opening up the box with my white kitchen canisters in it felt incredible. I hope to feel the same way when I open the box with my iron in it, wherever it is.

6 comments:

Kim said...

Looks like fun! Is buying popsicles from the ice cream truck on moving day a Brinton family tradition? We got some when you moved into the Bendamere house!

Mom said...

The hottest day of the summer!! And yet we toiled, hour after hour, box after box. We totally deserved those popsicles.
And no, it's not bad to love our stuff. It identifies our interests, our priorities, our heart.

Here's to books and markers and matchbox cars and dinosaurs and all those things we pack around that remind us that we live full and loving lives.

Timani said...

Give yourself some credit, you left your stuff for over a month! I think those people would have cherished seeing their possessions again.

So glad you are moved! YIPPEE! You have such an awesome family, I'm glad you get to live near them.

Wonder why we spend all that money on toys when kids are VERY happy (as your demonstrated) with empty baskets.

Jill said...

I agree you went a long time without much, and it helps to feel more settled and at home in a new place when you have memory associations with objects that you see all day.

I'm so glad to hear that you are getting unpacked before the baby arrives. What an adventure you have been on!

Joey/Denny/Emma said...

Oh, I've been SO into stuff since our recent move. Didn't know I liked it so much. Like to think I don't care, but I do. And lately I just want more more MORE stuff. (All to make the house a home, of course, a little slice o' heaven.)

It's fun to keep up with you guys while you're across the country. Hope Eric is surviving.

Anne-Marie said...

So glad yall finally moved in!! Your boys are so cute- just give them an empty laundry basket and they are good huh?!
So nice your family was there to help you move in!!