Sunday, August 2, 2009

Family fun with those growing boys


What fun we've had lately! I feel like each member of our family has been developing at warp speed, revealing distinct, growing, wonderful personalities. Here's the latest:

Eric has become more confident with life as a resident. I almost blush when I hear him say, "Hi, this is Dr. Brinton returning a page." Is this real life? At the dinner table when we talk about our days, everyone agrees that the happiest part is when Daddy comes home. Once he even came and surprised us at the pool:
Another time he and I had an "up-late date" after the kids went to bed. I got some delectable Cheesecake Factory desserts for the occasion (Did you know that July 30 is National Cheesecake Day? All the cheesecakes were half-price.).

Jacob must be anticipating his kindergarten days, because he seems more responsible, more curious, and more helpful than ever. Recently he's been initiating these fun mural activities: he'll research a type of environment and then illustrate it in detail. Including the research, this rainforest project kept him busy for about three hours. He even labeled things like "giant lily pads" and "decaying matter." Of course I help him with the projects, finding books and websites for him to study, and then looking up answers to the multitude of ensuing questions!
Oh, how I'll miss him when he goes to school! The other day we were playing Outburst and he was giving me clues for the topic "Animals in Australia."
"You've almost got them all, Mom. There are only two left, and one has a womb in it."
(At this point I'm wondering when he's learned about wombs, and especially why he thinks that the kangaroo and wallabies don't have them.) "A womb? Well, I guess I don't know."
"OK, I'll just tell you. It's a wombat."

Darling Zachary must be on an emotional growth spurt. He'll be a barrel of fun one moment, and then a crying mess the next! The breakdowns mostly have to do with a spilled dinner item, a soiled shirt, or some other unbearable condition ("I HAVE A SNEEZE, MOM!"). Other times they have to do with Michael. Yesterday, for example, I asked Zachary to share his bag of cookies with his younger brother. Zachary quickly folded the bag to his chest and announced, "The cookie market is closed!" We'll have to work on that one.
At least he didn't have to worry about Mike yesterday, when I took the big boys to a professional production of Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile in D.C. (The library gave out tickets as part of their summer reading program. The prizes in summer reading are always amazing--last year we got free books and IMAX tickets).

Mike, besides the aforementioned scuffles with the brothers, is generally a happy guy. Make that a spirited, happy boy! The first week that he went to a new nursery at church, he successfully lead all the kids in pounding the table rhythmically and chanting, "No way! No way!" He also loves to run around our living room-kitchen circle yelling, "Train track! All aboard!" This can go on for ten minutes or so. What a riot!

I'm doing my best to keep the family happy, clean, and fed; the house, clean. And if that's all that I get done for the next few weeks, it will be enough! It's about two weeks until the new baby arrives, and my heart is already full of joy for his new little brother.

P.S. Some pictures of our trip to the Washington D.C. temple today:

5 comments:

Jen Howick said...

I was just sitting in RS today wondering how far along you are. Only 2 more weeks? WOW! Good luck, being a mother of 4 isn't nearly as overwhelming as the transition for 2 to 3. By this point, you are used to being outnumbered so what's one more? Great pics and updates. Jackson is super excited for his change to go to kindergarten too. He asks almost everyday if today is the day that he gets to go! And what makes it better is he will finally have the chance to go to school with some of the kids in the neighorhood, to Rosecrest. So he'll have some fun times! Love the updates - keep 'em coming!

Erin said...

What fun boys! Sounds like your Jacob will be ahead of his Kindergarten class. And I LOVE Cheesecake Factory! We get those desserts whenever we can!

Sarah said...

wow, you are amazing! Doing all you're doing while 38 weeks pregnant! I can hardly keep my home in order and I'm not pregnant! :) Did your oldest do preschool? My 4 year old wants to go but I'm already getting separation anxiety about her going to kindergarten next year. Where do you get the great ideas for all his projects? She just gets bored at home, so I want to keep her busy so she'll want to stay home with me. :)

Heather W said...

You never cease to amaze me with your creativity and optimism. Most pregnant women as far along as you are would write an entire blog entry detailing how uncomfortable they are and what a chore pregnancy is. Your blog is always uplifting and refreshing.

I get the same little thrill when I hear Dr. Wilson return a page. It was a bit surreal at first.

Jill said...

I've been wondering when the big day is. It sounds like you're staying very busy as usual being supermom. I listened to the Guersey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society on my last drive to Utah. It was excellent - thanks for the recommendation! Thank you for sharing your wonderful ideas with Zachary. I need to pick your creative brain for more ideas. I love the temple pictures and your "up-late date" night too.