Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Things to remember

1. Autumn time
Every day the boys and I walk about half a mile up the road to get Jacob from school. The street, like the streets in this part of Maryland, winds through jungly forests on both sides. We come home most days with a stroller basket full of natural treasures and at least two larger sticks. When I remember autumn here, I will remember these boys, with smiles like this, poking around in nature:

2. Precious Michael
When I remember this sweet boy as a two-year-old, I will think of his excitement at his second birthday party, which was actually the first time that he's been the center of attention for such a length of time and for so many people (bless those third children!). I hope that I don't forget his "tactile stage," when he has slyly managed to paint most of his body in 1) softened butter, 2) peanut butter, 3) applesauce, 4) caramel dip, 5) pancake syrup, and 6) red paint, all in two weeks' time.

And of course I hope that I can always recall his cheery confidence when he has exclaimed, "I'm strong!":


3. Family fun
When my sister came up for a week, we went to see Fort McHenry, Arlington, and D.C.
My favorite picture of her visit, though, is from a soccer game. After I saw what she was wearing, I knew exactly what I would put on! I laugh every time I remember her surprise. What fun we had!

4. Growing lads
I won't soon forget the adorable line-up of five-year-olds who play tee ball with Jacob. I hope that I can remember him blossoming with all these new skills.We even decided that he was old enough to go on a Daddy date to New York City, which I hope that they both remember well.
Zachary's growing up too, serving as the "boy of the house" while Jacob is at school. Today we went to the B & O Railroad Museum, a young boy's paradise! His and Michael's enthusiasm made my day.
This darling is developing so quickly that I almost feel like I've missed his infancy. He's a baby now, smiling and "talking" with us.

It helps me to reflect on what we've done and to think about our happy sons. It makes me feel less overwhelmed and more adequate, which is also a good thing to remember.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I LOVE jotting down what you want to remember! You have a great list going here! And you are a GEM to have snapped a picture of Michael's red hands (and shirt, and more, I'm sure) rather than get upset. Although we've had our fair share of finger and body-painting, I think he takes the cake for creativity in selecting his medium! :)

Erin said...

I love the scenery on your side of the country! Your boys are lucky to spend the autumn there. Looks like you have much fun as a family. I hope we can get our sons together to play someday!

Timani said...

LOVE this Amy!

Oh the joys of 2 yr olds...I laughed at all the painting Michael did.

Crazy you just happened to have the same sweatshirt as your sis?

I really like your new family picture header. You look grrrreat!