Saturday, April 16, 2011

Second Annual Rainy Day Regatta

Last year the boys and I had a fun-filled day using recycled and inexpensive craft materials to create some creek-worthy boats, which we sailed that evening. Since Eric was working today and the weather seemed appropriate, I thought it an excellent time to create our 2011 fleet.  

We began at about 8:30 a.m. and--barring a few minor interruptions--worked until 5:30 p.m. The boys sawed, sanded, glued, taped, and decorated with remarkable enthusiasm. Yes, I let my three-year-old use a hot glue gun (and Sharpies!). He was in crafting heaven. 
"Duck Tape Dreamer" and "Lucky Seven" were among the first several boats ready.
 Once we piled them in the wagon, we headed down to the creek,
which, unfortunately, was too low for sailing. The wind was whipping strongly enough that we could send the boats sailing across a neighborhood pond, however, so we set up there. Zachary launched the first raft:
And did those babies fly! It was thirty-eight degrees outside and windy, but we hardly noticed the cold for our excitement. The single casualty was my boat, which succumbed to a high wave on its maiden voyage. (I knew that I had gone heavy on the ballast!) The boys sympathized and tried to think of ways to retrieve it from the pond bottom, the cuties. Maybe we'll paddle out there in the summer and attempt a rescue.
Their more successful boats were across in the pond in a couple minutes, with Zachary's tandem syrup-bottle model setting the record for speed and Jacob's "Water Bottle Wonder" claiming the record for the greatest distance covered. Here's a victory shot:
Until Regatta 2012, then!

1 comment:

Jill said...

I love this idea! You are so good with the photojournalism too. I know my boys will read this post over and over marveling at it as they did last year. Such advanced construction, crafting, and creativity!