Thursday, September 6, 2012

Boys and boulders

There are few things more essential to a boy's happiness than a rock. Last week the boys and I drove up to Baraboo to boulder along Devil's Lake. Immediately and innately, they began climbing. At first they were thrilled to go just above my head.
Then the older boys ventured farther
and farther
and farther until they were just little happy specks shouting, "Take my picture!"
After a full two hours of bouldering, I corralled them in. I didn't need to ask them to smile for the picture.
We hiked down to the beach and built a fire and roasted hot dogs. We swam in the lake and built a clay kingdom out of some artist-grade clay that we dug out of the beach. The kids were clay gray from top to bottom. "MOM!" Michael shouted. "My swimsuit used to be blue!" 

I also forgot to register the kids for school that day. I called Eric at 5:30 and told him to jet over to the school and do it (before 6:00!). I secretly wish that he had forgotten, too: if they weren't at school, we may have been bouldering again today! I miss them dearly.

No comments: