Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Winter day camp

Confirmed: boys in subzero temperatures can't feel the cold when they're having fun! Our day at Cub Scout winter day camp started out at -3F, rising to 16F by the afternoon. There was no indoor shelter, just hot chocolate and some "dump soup" (every kid brings a can of non-cream soup and dumps it in a huge crockpot--delicious, really!). 


I ran the "dog sled" station, where boys raced against each other pulling inner tubes with ropes. The course was set up a hill, which looked tame but turned out to be beastly! After racing up that hill about 30 times, I figured I can take at least a week off of my workouts. :) Of course Zachary and like-minded Scouts had dozens of ideas to improve their speed. The best tactic was recruiting an ex-Marine dad to help pull!
Over 120 boys attended the camp. Despite their best efforts, not all of them could fit on the merry-go-round concurrently. 

Geocaching, outdoor cooking, game playing, hiking, and of course, BB-shooting were other activities. When I was a girl I wished that I could be in Cub/Boy Scouts. Now's my chance, I guess. So fun!

No comments: