Saturday, October 18, 2008

Paradise Powell

When we were packing for Lake Powell, I almost didn't bring our swimsuits. It's October! Halloweentime! Plus, the weather forecast for Bullfrog Bay looked mighty similar to the forecast for Salt Lake. It turned out to be a summer-like paradise down at the houseboat, and Nana and Grandpa made it an especially fun trip for everyone.

Top five Lake Powell adventures:
5. Hanging out with my 16-year-old brother-in-law, Sam, and his buddies. I couldn't believe how those boys could cram so much fun into a three-day trip. (I also couldn't believe how dirty they could get without feeling like they needed to take showers!) After spending this week with such quality young men, I hope that we have a whole gaggle of boys.  
4. Running along the coastline with the red rock mountains as a backdrop. One day I took a nine-mile run and felt totally recharged. I felt like a runner on one of those posters with a one-word inspiring title, like "determination" or "endurance." Doesn't it seem that those posters always have photos of people running in the desert?
3. Boating and jet skiing! The boys and I kayaked around the bay, and we took the jet skis out several times. And can I just mention that Eric looks so dang handsome in a wetsuit?    
2. Building sand castles. I love watching the boys focus on projects like this, especially when they come up with ideas like, "we need to build a special place for them to keep all their treasures." 
1. Hiking up to the sand dunes. The boys were thrilled to hike through Moki Canyon to some huge sand dunes. Grandpa scaled the dunes more times than anyone; Jacob is following in his legacy and becoming a fast, tough hiker. Who knew that a big pile of sand could be so fun?

Once at a wedding, I heard someone advise the couple to take lots of vacations because that's where good memories come from. I agree wholeheartedly, especially when the vacations involve Lake Powell!






4 comments:

Corrine said...

Way fun!! Look like so much fun! I would like to have nice weather back... I fear the winters up here. Oh, well... I will have to feel the warmth through your pictures. ;)

Anne-Marie said...

What a trip- I bet it was nice to get away with the family!! Your boys are Adorable! They definitely have Raynor in them!! Hope you are doing great!

Jill said...

I love the pictures! I have to admit that I am envious too. We haven't been to Lake Powell since we've been married. It sounds like you made some great memories!

Jen Howick said...

what a fun trip! I love all the pics!