Friday, October 31, 2008

Halloween

The ever-so-wise animated cat Garfield has commented that Halloween is the holiday when you don't celebrate anything but "candy, candy, candy, candy, candy, candy!" Today as we went throughout the rituals of the day, however, I was thinking about how Halloween celebrates a lot of things: imagination, generosity, neighbors, childhood, and joy. The magic of the day had my boys entranced, creating an enjoyable escape for all of us. Here are a few highlights:

The boys get a pumpkin boost to check on our spiderwebs and watch Dad do some pipe repairs.
Baby cow Mike manages a smile without having to remove the thumb-ifier.
The kids eat lunch at a fun neighborhood trick-or-treat/lunch.
The sun finally went down, and we hit the trick-or-treat trail.

After a fun night of talking with our neighbors and enjoying the boys' running commentaries ("This one is the spookiest!" and "Is that a real skull?"), we came home and watched a few cartoons while we sorted the candy.

Yesterday my sister-in-law and I were laughing about the meaninglessness of Halloween. But today I'm thinking that it's a pretty great tradition. 

5 comments:

Corrine said...

you all look so adorable! I cant wait to have a family to really enjoy Halloween! ;)

The Hathorns said...

Guess what Madeline was a cow for Halloween too! I'm glad the day was so fun for your family.

Kim said...

I dressed as a cowgirl for Halloween. When I walked into work, one of the children pointed at me and shouted, "COW!" His dad chuckled and said, "I wouldn't take it personally, Kim."

Jill said...

I love the pictures and the stories. Your blog happenings always keep me rolling with laughter. I'm still impressed by your sewing talents!

Ashley Dickman said...

well hello-hello!!! It's AMY RAYNOR!!!! how fun that you have a blog! I am really excited to keep up with you and your cute family! 3 boys... what is a boy to do? they are super cute! you look great!