Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election day

If you know Eric and me well, you understand that we have strong feelings about politics. (Case in point: A few days ago a close friend told me that she was thinking about voting for the candidate running against who I was supporting, and I nearly broke down crying.) Apparently our constant political discussions have influenced the boys. While they were playing recently, I heard Jacob (4) tell Zachary (2) "I'm not voting for you!" I've had intelligent conversations with Jacob about reducing unnecessary government spending. And tonight both older boys were fascinated by the electoral map as it lit up with election results. 

A particularly intriguing, curly-haired Jewish professor I had at the U taught me this: you can't change beliefs. After core beliefs are formed, they then become standards by which you measure all decisions. My parents formed my core beliefs about individual freedom and conservatism. According to Dr. Horwitz, I now measure all new knowledge by these beliefs.  

What do I think about this early learning (indoctrination/molding)? As a person committed to absolute truths, I feel like I need to teach my children the things that I understand. I also appreciate that others are equally committed to their core beliefs, which makes it difficult for me to find fault in any sincere politician/citizen. I certainly feel sorry for them for their ignorance, however, just as they pity mine!

2 comments:

Kim said...

I was on a message board earlier reading/typing about Prop 8 and thinking, "They just don't get it, do they?" The opposition was probably scratching their heads at their own computers thinking, "Why doesn't she understand?"

Also, we had a "voting booth" at school today and all the kids got to vote on their favorite pet/food/color/etc. I overheard one little girl tell her friend, "Oh, it is VERY important to vote. That is how we choose all the guys that win."

Jill said...

Wow... intelligent conversations about government spending with a 4 year old? Can I vote for you
!?! You are making a difference in the life of 3 little boys right now. Thank you for teaching me to be a better person and mother!