Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Domestic matters

No, I'm not talking about the stimulus bill that was signed into law yesterday. In an honest effort to avoid offending the world, I'm keeping my political positions to my dinner table, which is actually the type of domestic matter that I'd like to discuss. This is domesticity in the sense of "domestic chores" and "she's not very domestic, is she?"
     Yesterday in a Firestone waiting room I browsed through a popular women's magazine, which promised "secrets your mother never taught you" about housecleaning. Unfortunately, much of the column's advice bordered on the ridiculous, including a suggestion for easier bed-making: pull your bedcovers up to your chin before arising, and then wriggle out with a "scissor-kick motion." Just think: half a chore completed before you even get out of bed! Every time I think about it I have to chuckle.
     When I got out of bed this morning (flutter kick), I began making a mental list of useful tips that my mother and others have given me about housecleaning. If I had been hired to write the "secrets" column, I would have included these gems:  

1. Move the laundry through
I've often heard my mother say, "It only takes five minutes to fold a basket of laundry. Who doesn't have five minutes?" Right after she sorts a load, she puts it in the washer. It goes promptly from the washer to dryer and from the dryer to folding and to the drawers. By realizing how quickly each of these tasks takes, she doesn't get stuck at any point in the cycle. Generally, knowing how long chores actually take makes them far less foreboding; most take under ten minutes.

2. Clean the bathroom daily
When Eric and I were staying at a hotel once, he said, "Wouldn't it be great if our bathroom were this clean every day?" And I thought, why not? So now every day I wipe down the counter, sink, faucet, and toilet with a Clorox disinfecting wipe (the Kirkland brand is also good, and some people make their own wipes with an empty container, paper towels, and a cleaning solution). Then I Windex the mirrors and shine the faucet with a dry rag. The routine takes less than one minute, and it makes the weekly deep-clean a breeze.
3. Designate a give-away box
It's absolutely freeing to deliver a load of things we don't use to DI (our local charity). Designating a Rubbermaid container for donations keeps them out of our closets and ready for delivery if we're running an errand near the drop-off center.  

4. Use products that perform
My curious son recently poured four ounces of liquid foundation onto the hallway carpet. After spending half an hour scrubbing with hot water and generic household cleaners, I remembered that I had some Rug Doctor Spot and Stain Remover downstairs. In under five minutes, the stain was perfectly gone, my carpet salvaged. If only I had saved myself the time by going for the "performance product" right away! This bottle is absolutely gold.
5. Institute tidy time
When I was in elementary school, my mom began "four o'clock pick-up." At four each afternoon, we were all to gather in the family room. Then we moved from room to room, spending five minutes tidying each. My mom carried a laundry basket for things that were to be put in other rooms. Young children usually enjoy this game, especially if there's a timer involved.

6. Schedule regular chores and be spontaneous for deep cleaning
To prevent chore pile-ups, schedule a few regular chores every day. On Mondays, vacuum upstairs and clean the glass. Tuesdays are for dusting and mopping. Each day has its special chores. These regular tasks take such little time that you can complete them without much hassle. Scheduling baseboard scrubbings, on the other hand, can make for a depressing every-other-Monday. Plus, you might not have time for the task on that day. But if during a regular mopping you get motivated and scrub the baseboards, now that's something to be proud of! Deep cleaning is much more satisfying if done on the fly.  

7. Use motivational strategies
When I don't feel like cleaning, I eat half a Dryer's lemonade bar, brush my teeth, and put on fresh lipstick. This usually gets me motivated. If I still don't feel like cleaning, I pretend that someone is coming over in 20 minutes, and I hurry and get it done. If this still doesn't work, usually some upbeat Oldies do the trick.  

These ideas make housecleaning work for me, and I'm always looking for new ideas. What works for you?

8 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

Can you come clean our house?!?! Great tips- you and kim's blogs are always fun to read..you should both be journalists of some sort!!

Leah Z said...

Amy, your observation that deep cleaning works well when spontaneous is very astute. I never realized that the deep cleaning almost always gets done, with satisfaction rather than from obligation, when I'm doing little chores.

Growing up, my mom was big on ownership. Your chore was yours, and you felt like you had been chosen to perform that chore because Mom had recognized in you the seeds of greatness in that area. She backed it up with lots of compliments. We all love making her happy.

She also somehow framed the chores system as hierarchical. This week you get to clean mirrors, but someday when you're older, you'll get to do the dusting. You aspired to more involved chores.

Ashley Dickman said...

all this cleaning talk makes me want to go and take a nap! :) Can I print off this post and put it on my fridge? Seriously... great tips!

By the way, about my post... It's been "T" Whitaker, Ross Chandler, and now Michael Fisk! Crazy huh?

"T" has a little guy that turned 2 in December that he never met, Ross had a little boy, and Michael married Story Goldsby.

Kim said...

I have a different motivational strategies. When I have chores that need to be done yet lack the motivation, I just go lay on the couch and watch TV instead. Or I'll have a little lookie at the Internet. That usually takes care of it. Not that the chores get done, but I forget about them completely.

Corrine said...

love the tips!!

reading this makes me feel my house is dirty and it is only a tiny apartment.... maybe i'm just lazy or this little thing inside takes all my energy and motivation. who knows? ;)

Jill said...

I agree with Ashley - these tips need to go on the fridge, and there were some great tips for getting kids involved. Thanks for being a great motivator once again!

Ali said...

Amy, I think your sister and I would get along really well. I like your way of thinking Kim!

P.S. Thanks for coming by yesterday. You really lifted my spirits. Thanks for listening to me whine.

Kim said...

P.S. How do you eat half a popsicle?