Thursday, March 19, 2009

Crab cakes and...crime rates?

This morning we attended what could be the most ceremonious of all job-offerings: Match Day. After the deans cut a red ribbon, Eric and his classmates rushed forward to receive the envelopes that would reveal their residency matches. We already knew that Eric would be going to Wisconsin in 2010, but we were anxious to learn where he would match for intern year, July 2009–July 2010. And the letter said...
Harbor Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland!

Harbor Hospital is only about an hour from my parents' home, and the kids are already looking forward to more time with "Grandma, Grandpa, and the uncles." Unfortunately, it seems like the inner city has its numbers all upside-down: low school performance and high crime rates. But I'm sure we'll be able to find a golden community in the area. Right, guys? I mean, I'm not giving up my cute little red brick home, my vegetable garden, tulips, and fruit trees, plus my dear Salt Lake friends and neighbors for nothing! No, this will be good. I haven't lived near my parents since I was 17, and I've always yearned for the East Coast. Baltimore will be good.
So we'll have to be settled in by mid-June, and in the meantime please tell your friends that the coziest cul-de-sac home in America is going on the market next month. If interested buyers act quickly, they can even recommend which varieties of tomato I should plant.

11 comments:

Jen Howick said...

Ahhh Amy. We'll miss you SO MUCH! But good luck in your future opportunites. I hope you keep your blog going when you get out there so we can see all the happenings. And hey, look at the bright side, you won't be primary chorister anymore! haha... finally! ;) (though you are THE BEST primary chorister I've ever seen - a tough act to follow!)

Corrine said...

Amy! That is so exciting! i am not good with change, but sometimes it is a good thing! Living close to your parents will be fun! I am hoping to be able to move closer to my parents in Dec!! I sure do miss them! I best you'll have great experiences all around!! :)

Kim said...

"Shriekety-shriek!" <--- what I expect Mom's reaction was when you told her.

P.S. I love crab cakes. I'll be coming to visit for sure.

Ashley Dickman said...

how fun is that! I always tell Dan that I would go east as long as I knew I would only be there for about a year or so because I can't be away from family... you get to be near family and be in the east! exciting!

Erin said...

How exciting! And you'll be close to your family!! What a bonus! Hey, if we ever visit my sisters, we can meet up! Still disappointed that it wasn't Texas though.

Camilla Millar said...

That is great!! Our friends, the Paxtons did med school at Hopkins--I bet they could give you some advice about neighborhoods.

You can find a link to their blog from mine--we knew them at BYU, their names are Ben and Juli

Leah Z said...

Yea, Amy! Baltimore is much more visitable than Salt Lake.

Stay close to the Spirit as you make this change. Your words are so brave and positive, but leaving your cozy home and many friends will be a little heartbreaking. Give yourself time to mourn.

P.S. I bet you're a fantistic primary chorister.

Heather W said...

Congrats! I actually really like Baltimore - great zoo, world-class aquarium, beautiful ballpark, close to a temple, close to DC. You'll love it. (And if you don't - well heck - you only have to endure it for one year!)

Ali said...

Congrats! I'll miss you, but I feel glad knowing you'll be back. Glad you can live close to your mom. :)

Jill said...

Congrats. That's wonderful. I know you'll work out the school issues somehow. It will be a wonderful year to be close to your parents especially with a new baby on the way!

Anonymous said...

"Shriekety-shriek!" Just for the record...