Tuesday, March 23, 2010

House hunting

Last weekend Eric, Adam, and I flew to Wisconsin to find a home. Adam took it easy on his first flight:
(Can't you just hear him piping up with, "Excuse me ma'am, a ginger ale please? And may I have the whole can?" He looks like a frequent flyer, all relaxed in his chair!)

Eric's mom, armed with real estate expertise to the gills, met us there and we all set to work. After the first two days, we'd seen many homes--some beautiful, but no real deals. Feeling a little frantic, Sally and I drove around past nightfall scouring the neighborhoods for "for sale" signs--certainly there was some non-MLS-listed gem that we could find! But there wasn't.

The next morning (and the last day of our trip!), some anxiety and prayers later, we were driving a favorite neighborhood when we spotted this:
It hadn't even come up in our searches because it was listed as a three bedroom (we only searched for four). But with an office and "extra room," it's PLENTY of space for us. And we bought it from a builder, who was able to give us a lot more house (and yard!) for the money. What a blessing!

When I called Jacob to tell him about it, he asked about the school:
A: I saw the school. The kids look really nice. 
J: What kind of kids are there?
A: All kinds! I saw them running around playing tag!
J: What kind of tag? Dinosaur tag?
A: I don't know. Maybe. Maybe you could teach them dinosaur tag if they don't know.
J: What color hair do they have?
A: All colors! They looked great! And there's a huge playground!
J: Are there swings?
A: Well, it looked like it had everything.
J: Yes, but are there swings?

(We drove back to the school later on and looked to confirm that there were swings. There were. Phew. I called to report.)
A: Hi Jacob, this is Mom. There are swings. Lots of them!
J: OK. I have to go. Bye, Mom. Make sure that the house is one that you love. And find one that is for medium money.

I do love the home! And I feel like we were blessed with a great deal. It's not finished yet,

but it will be by the summer. In the meantime, I am searching for deals and ideas on all things home: window treatments, outdoor play units, storage systems, and more! Let me know if you're especially clever about these sorts of things (I'm not). 

11 comments:

liz said...

It's beautiful! Congratulations! By the way, Rosecrest does not have swings (who knows why), so Jacob's question was a valid one. Glad to hear his new school is not deficient. Oh, and I wanted to tell you we love our swingset -- I don't know if you remember it, but it's metal. It's the higher quality, not one you can get at Wal-Mart or something. We picked it because it didn't require maintenance, like those lovely wooden ones. I think the wooden ones look nicer, but for a similar amount of money, ours will last a very long time with no staining and no slivers. There are lots of good choices, but that's my two cents. Good luck with your fun new house!

Amy Brinton said...

Thanks for the advice, Liz! I'd never thought about the maintenance involved with the ubiquitous wooden sets. I will have to look into metal and see what I can find.

Erin said...

Congrats on finding your lovely new home! It really is beautiful; I'll have to come visit sometime. I'm glad Jacob has his priorities straight. I love the views of kids, they're just so straight-forward about everything. I don't have much experience in play equipment yet, sorry. And I know you know WAY more about storage and organizing toys than I do. Let me know the progress on your move! How exciting for ya'll!

Ashley Dickman said...

so cute Amy! that is really exciting... so glad that everything worked out so well!

Joey/Denny/Emma said...

Congratulations on the new home -- it's really beautiful! You'll have such fun in it. Love Jacob's conversation with you about the school kids ("What kind of tag" -- that's adorable).

Erica said...

Amy !!!! CONGRATS! That is so exciting for you and your sweet family! You home is BEAUTIFUL! What a great move - have you only been back east for a year? Is he already done or is this residency? I am so behind! The Lord really blesses doesn't he? It seems to be the perfect fit for you guys! Can't wait to see you all moved into it and how it is decorated! It will be nothing less than FABULOUS! Hope all is well! Lots of love - miss ya! :)

dnwu said...

I like your blog very much!
Thanks for your share! I like it very much! Nike Air RiftBeautiful children,a happy family. cheap cell phones wholesale enjoy a high quality of life,you are welcomed to the following worlds: jeans dieselThanks for your share! I like it very much! Beautiful children,a happy family.Thanks for your share! I like it very much!

Timani said...

Congratulations Brintons! That is a gorgeous house, what a blessing! How fun you get to decorate from scratch.

I agree with the metal swingsets. Many of our neighbors installed the wooden ones and two have pulled them out already, lovely place for wasps to nest.

Rosecrest! That's the school Lance went to Kindergarten at, he had Ms. Christensen (who is a year older than me) and then we moved to Tooele.

Erica said...

Hey! We are moving to Frisco - east frisco pretty close to Allen/McKinney. We are right off the 121 (new tollway) and Coit Road. It is a great location - close to the outlets, close to Stonebriar Mall, close to church, school and my sister! We love Dallas and can't wait to get back! Yes - and swim- claire keeps wanting to wear her swimsuits around but it is too cold here! If you ever come back to Dallas I'd love to see you and you are always welcome to stay!!! :) Send me your e-mail. I can't find it!

Brittany said...

Wow! It looks so nice! How exciting!

Chai said...

Your blog has been recommended to us as a interviewee's favorite blog!

We would like to do an interview with you about your blog for Blog
Interviewer. We'd
like to give you the opportunity to
give us some insight on the "person behind the blog."

It would just take a few minutes of your time. The interview form can
be submitted online here Submit your
interview
.

Best regards,

Mike Thomas