Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Boys

Last week our little nephew Jackson came to visit for a few days. We did regular things, like bike riding and going to parks and reading books and making forts, and Jackson fit right in. Hurray! That was a very good thing, because in January we're going to have a new baby. Hurray again!

A few weeks ago I went in for an ultrasound, when the OB and I discovered that our fifth child would be a BABY GIRL. My immediate response was obvious:
A green gingham sundress with a fancy white cardigan, hot pink jeans with a snazzy striped shirt, play dresses with flowered bloomers! I had a blast.

Yesterday I went in for a follow-up ultrasound, when the sonographer's first words were, "That baby is NOT hiding the fact that he's a boy." A boy? My girl...is a boy? Yes, he definitely, definitely is. The OB who reviewed the images even used the phrase "textbook boy image." For heaven's sake! At least for four weeks I was expecting a girl, which is longer than I've ever expected a girl in my whole mothering experience.

I got over the disappointment in less than an hour, when I was back with my four beautiful boys:
Jacob, who scrounges around for extra chore money to use at the baseball card shop each Saturday;
Zachary, who stealthily saran-wrapped his entire bike one night while I was preparing dinner;
Michael, who sleeps with cowboy boots on and carries a harmonica around in his pocket; and
Adam, who was squealing so euphorically in Joann yesterday that I had to take him away from the bright fabric aisles.

What are the chances of having five boys in a row? About 3 percent? Sounds like we're pretty lucky.

13 comments:

Erin said...

How exciting! You mentioned your pregnancy so nonchalantly, I had to double check that that's what you had said! Then I was in disbelief that you were finally having a girl, but the world was set right again with it being a boy. Honestly, would you even know what to do with a girl? I want to see pregger pics!

Joey/Denny/Emma said...

Oh man --glad I read to the end of the post. Was gonna jump right in and congratulate you on the impending birth of Baby Girl Brinton, but will now change tracks and say hip hip hooray from Boy #5. That is awesome!

Joey/Denny/Emma said...

FOR Boy #5

Sherrie said...

I think Eric has a good idea. It's definitely time to install a urinal in your house...

Happy news!!!

Rachel said...

Congratulations! Justin's cousin is actually expecting her 5th boy in January. Her oldest is just five. You can check out her blog http://natalielarson.blogspot.com/

Sarah said...

Wow! If I had any notion of a doubt before, this just seals the deal that you are SuperMom! I'm still wrapping my head around 3 and you're already halfway to #5! :) CONGRATULATIONS! You now have a complete basketball team (complete with a sub-in, if Eric is around! :) )

Jen Howick said...

oh Amy!!!!! CONGRATS and Wow! You are super lucky!

Ashley Dickman said...

you just need to face it that you will not have a girl- i'm telling you... you are that super mom that is supposed to raise some amazing little guys that will be great men! :) so excited for you... i sure hope that you get your girl one day... just keep going until you get her!

Ali said...

Hooray! I just couldn't believe it as I was reading the paragraph about your shopping trip to the Children's Place. It just makes more sense that you're having another boy. Congrats! He'll definitely fit right in. I'm just so excited to see what you'll name him. :)

Mahaffey Family said...

Congratulations on upcoming baby boy! That's great news!

Jill said...

Hooray! I hope you're feeling well! Sending warm wishes your way, and wishing I could have your boys come play to give you a break.

Jill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather W said...

What splendid news! Five boys in a row is truly remarkable. I was just telling Matt the other day that I would be perfectly happy if we end up with all boys. Hope you have a healthy and happy pregnancy.