Thursday, May 27, 2010

Department of Tourism

Have you ever called your county's department of tourism? It never occurred to me until yesterday, when I wanted to plan a hike with my sisters and niece. When I called the department, a receptionist told me about a trail built on the original B&O RR roadbed, plus he clued me in about parking options, historical sites, and the terrain. This is a resource that I will use again!

Armed with sunscreen, water, and those delicious Nature Valley peanut bars, we set out with enthusiasm! 
After hiking down to the Patapsco River,
we splashed around,

crossed a metal suspension bridge,
and finally arrived at a roaring dam.
I could sense a calmness--almost a reverence--as the children sat on the riverbank
or stared up at the treetops.

What a beautiful, sacred earth we have. 

After we came home the boys stripped themselves of calmness, put on capes, and requested pictures of themselves jumping off the ottoman. Yes.
Here's Jacob,
Zachary,
and a double!
What kids! I guess they can't always be calm, but they can entertain themselves for hours, without as much as a single phone call to a county office.

6 comments:

Ali said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ali said...

Do your kids get you and your sister mixed up? I didn't realize you had a sister that looked just like you, but slightly younger! Looks like you guys had fun!!!

p.s. I deleted my first comment because I made a spelling error! :)

Sherrie said...

:) It's great fun to watch what wonderful mothers and aunts you four girls are. Thanks for making this season of my life so rewarding. <3

sonika said...

wonderful

http://www.i-am-warrenbuffett.blogspot.com

Jill said...

Thanks for the tip. Looks like great fun!

Erin said...

Good idea- nature walks are always fun, especially with all of your boys! Love the action pics at the bottom too. I want to see a Mommy pic in the air!