Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Monocacy

The Monocacy River bank where we spent last Saturday looks like the backdrop for a film about a boyhood summer vacation. Intuitively, the kids raced down the bank and began building structures,
searching for guppies (tell me you love the sumo wetsuit!), 
casting fishing lines,
and sampling the earth's goodness (literally).
We brought the kayak, which provided a grueling workout for Eric,
me,
and my dad,

who all tried to conquer a 75-foot stretch of rapids with no success. My brother Brian (who is becoming quite strapping!) finally made it and so became the star of the day.
Or more accurately he became a star, since my mom also reached stardom status by preparing pulled pork sandwiches for dinner. What else could so whet a family for summer like a day at the river and pulled pork sandwiches? 

5 comments:

Mahdis said...

I like the way he samples the nature, easy and effective :)

Kim said...

Do you remember the time Matt was carried off in the Provo Falls?

Good times.

Ali said...

Man, my kids are always eating dirt. Megan loves to use the shovel as a spoon, and when I tell her to stop it, she just gets this mischievous look on her face and downs another shovel full. Weird-o!

Looks like you're having a lot of fun adventures. We should move to Maryland!

Erin said...

That kayak reminds me of our canoeing adventures in Texas. I forget the name of that river we lifeguarded at...fun times! Remember when you saved the chair from a watery death?

Sherrie said...

I shall rename pulled-pork sandwiches as "Star Status Pork Sandwiches." Thank you. The very easy recipe: One pork loin, butt, roast (whatever) and one crock pot. Put it in the crockpot, turn it on low for 6-8 hours. Cut up and shred the meat and add lots of Sweet Baby Ray's barbeque sauce. Done. (The extra freezes very well.)