Monday, May 17, 2010

romantic/Romantic

Gentlemen, buy some flowers for your lady. Today. If you have an especially careful lady who will worry about the cost, go to a florist and choose a $4 stem and they will give you the greenery (and maybe some Queen Anne's lace!), the ribbon, and that wonderfully crinkly floral wrap for free. You probably spend $4 on some extravagance every week, and you can do without it this week. But your lady cannot do without the flowers.

If you have an additional $5 to spend invest,  go to Costco and buy a Garden Bouquet. It will bloom brilliantly all week. 
The other romantic thing is poetry. Eric knew about the flowers, and I knew about the poetry--he gets credit for both, though, because his flowers reminded me of the Wordsworth verse, "I Wandered Lonely As a Cloud." The poet describes ten thousand golden daffodils, not fifteen golden tulips, but they are both bulbs and so I've been thinking of it. The distinction doesn't matter anyway, because the poem isn't about daffodils at all; the poem, like all poems, is mostly about poetry. Poet becomes nature, and nature becomes poet--they converge and diverge throughout the piece until the reader either becomes confused of the action or aware of it, whichever he is careful enough to observe. Poetry as natural, even impulsive expression. Yes.

When you bring the flowers to your lady, she may think Romantic thoughts. Or not. But YOU will certainly "flash upon [her] inward eye." And that is why you should buy them. Today. 

1 comment:

Jill said...

lol! I hate the cost of fresh flowers. I was constantly spoiled during dating and the beginning of marriage until I put my foot down. I'll have to have my sweetheart read this post.