Saturday, March 24, 2012

The things they're saying

Max roars, makes a monkey sound, says "ooh" at things that he likes, and calls out "Mom" (or "Mom, mom, mom, mom, mom" like one of those copycat monsters from Sesame Street).

Adam, upon looking into the Kitchen Aid mixing bowl that I had set on the dinner table as a serving dish (classy, I know): "This is not cookie dough!" 

We had a friend named Simon over the other day and Adam kept calling him "Salmon."

Adam, holding a baby doll: "This is Baby Brains. He's my best friend."

Adam, after hitting three pitches in a row with his bat: "I play BASEball! I hit the BASEball!"

Adam, when a little girl at the library told her dad to look at the cute baby: "I am NOT a baby!" And then, stepping forward, "I am a KID!"

Michael, when I told him that I would give a piece of candy to whomever found Adam's brand-new, missing Crocs: "Oh! I think that Jacob took them in from outside."
Amy: "Where did Jacob put them then?"
M: "I think that he hid them somewhere." 
A: "Where do you think that he would hide them?"
M: "I think in the downstairs bathroom in that dresser down there in the drawer."
Sure enough, there they were.

Amy: "Did you know that jellyfish don't have brains?"
Michael: "Scarecrows don't have brains, too!"
And then, still thinking about internal organs, he asked, "How big is Max's heart?"

Zachary made a game for home evening this week. There were choices on the squares--you moved forward for good choices and backward for bad choices. My favorite choice was "You started a forest fire," for which I had to go back five spaces! When I went back the five spaces, I landed on "You littered" and had to go back an additional two spaces. Zachary was almost in tears laughing: "That's the whole joke of the game!" he roared.
Later, Zachary was cheering on Jacob when he got a big move. "Hey, do you want Jacob to win?" I asked. "Of course I do!" Zach immediately replied. "He's the best kid I ever met in my whole life!"

Zachary, looking at Michael's artwork, leaned over and whispered, "That was the best guy I ever saw you do." 

This is a picture of Zachary after he and I went on a "date" to the grocery store. We were in Eric's little two-seater car and had to squeeze the groceries in. Zach said, "Bury me! Bury me in groceries! Now take a picture!"

This morning I was showing Jacob how I could project a constellation on the ceiling by poking holes in an aluminum can and then shining a light through the can. Jacob reached for the pocket door to the room and opened it completely, letting in light from another room. "This is what the stars would look like in the city." Then he closed it about a third. "This is what the stars would look like in the suburbs." He closed it almost all the way. "This is what the stars would look like in the country." Then he completely closed the door, making the room as dark as possible so that our stars were brightest. "What's this?" I asked. "This is what the stars would look like if Earth didn't have an atmosphere."

2 comments:

Meghann said...

Can you teach me how to raise smart kids?

Leah Z said...

It makes me feel excited for my kiddo to grow up and joyful about being a mom to read your posts. Thanks, Ames!