Saturday, April 3, 2010

Harpers Ferry, WV

Yesterday the kids had school off, so we decided to take a day trip over to Harpers Ferry with my family. What a gem! We have never been disappointed with a trip to a National Park, and Harpers Ferry is as great as they come. After a short stop at the visitor's center,
we took a complimentary shuttle to the lower town,
where we learned more about John Brown's raid,
saw the historic B&O railroad, 
hiked a portion of the Appalachian Trail,
and relaxed near the confluence of the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers.

The adults loved: 
the extensive information posted around the city
the gorgeous stone walls and spring flora surrounding the historical buildings
the variety to Harpers Ferry's significance: its role in the Industrial Revolution, Civil War, Lewis and Clark expedition, and much more!

The kids loved:
the shuttle ride through the Blue Ridge Mountains
the perfect skipping rocks near the Potomac
the "touch anything" policy throughout the town
the day out with their uncles/nephews! 

1 comment:

Kim said...

Oh, I see you visited my railroad. Yup, I own the B&O. Or at least I did until I had to go to jail and subsequently went bankrupt.