Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Birthday Boys

When Jacob tells people that he and Zachary share January 26th as a birthday, he always adds "and we're not even twins!" They are best friends, however, and they love celebrating their birthdays together each year on "brothers day." They were especially thrilled that they could stay up to eat cake with Eric, who flew in from PA late last night (yay!). To celebrate the brothers, enjoy some favorite quotations and pictures from 2008:

Zachary, on food: "I don't like chicken rolls. They have poison." and, when asked his favorite dinner, "Ah! Popsicles!"

Jacob, on food: "I don't want that milk. It tastes like it's been out a night and a day." and "Everything you cook I think is yucky. That's why I want to eat Rice Krispies all the time." and, after eating an overdone cookie, "Mom, do cookies sometimes taste like bricks?"
Zachary: "Jacob is five." Amy: "Not quite." Zachary: (yelling) "NOT QUIET!"

Jacob: "What is a cemetery?" A: "It's a place where people's bodies are buried." J: (wide-eyed) "Then where are their heads buried?"
Zachary: (as I was washing his hair in the bathroom sink) "I'm suffering." And after I laughed, "I don't like suf-fer-ing."

Jacob, on women's roles: "Mom, does the daddy protect the family and the mom does all the other work?" and "Is a father just a son who a mom [pointing to Amy] takes care of?" and, my favorite, "Mom, if there is a thing that makes you to be stressed out, then don't do that thing."

Zachary: "I can't find the tape to glue Michael's head to the couch!"

Questions from Jacob: 
1. "Is one hour half of two hours?"
2. "Is an airplane stronger than gravity?"
3. "When were grapes invented?"
4. "Is apatosaurus the biggest plant-eating dinosaur?"
5. "Did Adam and Eve invent houses?"
6. "Who discovered clothes?"
7. (getting out of bed at 10 p.m. to ask) "Are there no jellyfish in Lake Powell?"
8. "Are dollars that green cash?"
Zachary, when asked his favorite thing to do: "Fun."

Jacob, as disciplinarian: "If I don't have macaroni and cheese, then I won't go to bed. If you give me some macaroni, then I will go to bed." and, to Aunt Kim, "You're going to be sent to a different town if you tickle me again!" and, to Michael, "If you color my pages, I'm going to be very disappointed."

Zachary, on his favorite cereal: "My check fell!" (referring to a single piece of Chex cereal), and when asked if he wanted Chex after a rough morning, "No. I just want to cry about Chex!"

Jacob, on his faith: "Everyone knows that The Book of Mormon is nonfiction!" and "Everyone gets older...so I might be the prophet?"
Zachary, on his energy level: "I'm out of batteries."

Jacob, on the difference between boys and girls: "Girls just like pretending they're princesses or queens, but boys like all kinds of things to do, like soccer, pretending they're different stuff, do Brain Quest, and playing in the snow, and learning about the states and they learn about geography, and going skiing, and hit home runs and play trains or plant a seed or help a tree grow, or go on a date with dad or with mom...I don't know how many things there are for a boy to do!"

Zachary, who loves to sing: "Head, shoulders, Jesus toes, Jesus toes, Jesus toes..."


6 comments:

Sherrie said...

What a delight! Thanks for the day brightener!

Jill said...

What an amazing bunch of boys! Dallas saw the last picture posted and says he really wants to play in the sand with Jacob. He would love to spend an afternoon with the Brinton boys. Someday it will happen.

Erin said...

Aren't boys fun?! I love the question on planes and gravity. Kids say the coolest things, it shows how they're figuring out the world around them. I look forward to hearing Jack's ideas someday.

liz said...

Yet another thing I admire about you as a mother -- you actually remember to write these priceless/funny moments down! The reason they're so funny, you know, is because they are so darn smart. And fantastic genetics aside, a lot of their smarts come from the experience of having you as a mother. Sorry, am I gushing?

Anne-Marie said...

What cute kids!!! That is so cool that they share the same birthday- thanks for the smiles!

Joey/Denny/Emma said...

Too funny. I love "Head, shoulders, Jesus toes."