Sunday, January 11, 2009

Igloo Campout

About a week ago, via youtube, we watched an adept pair of Canadian Eskimos construct an igloo. Their structure, built in about an hour with only a "snow knife," warmed to over 50 degrees inside. Our structure, built over a period of four days with a Tupperware container, a saw, and a shovel, warmed enough to convince Eric that a campout was in order. So on Friday night (with an outdoor temperature of 22 degrees!), Eric and the two older boys proved their manliness by actually sleeping all night long in it. Now I'm certain that neither of the boys has inherited my Texan aversion to all things freezing! I attached the final picture to show that I braved a ski trip with Jacob and Eric the next day, when I mentioned at least five and a half times about how inconvenient it is that such a fun sport has to be in such unpleasant weather. The igloo's still up if anyone's got an itch for a fun campout. And who knows? Maybe I'll buck up and spend a night out there! 


6 comments:

Jen Howick said...

that looks insanely cold inside... i could never spend a night out in that! but wow! What an awesome igloo!

Ashley Dickman said...

how fun is that! you are braver than me... i wouldn't trust that thing enough to sleep in it!

Jen Howick said...

so, did the igloo warm up to 50 degrees inside? inquiring minds wanna know!

Amy Brinton said...

We didn't actually measure the temperature inside, but I doubt it got above 40. We realized that we should have blocked off the entrance better (packed it with snow). Next time, I guess!

Anonymous said...

That's no igloo. That's a SNOW CAVE!!! Last time I made one of those, my feet stuck out in the open all night.

Jill said...

Wow... you have grown some brave men. Isn't it time to move them to Texas so they can really learn how to live? Lol. Cute picture skiing too!