Saturday, January 24, 2009

Herbivorous

Last evening Jacob ran in the kitchen to ask, "Can we heat some broccoli for dinner?" Unfortunately we were out of broccoli, so he asked if we had any peas or corn or "just things that come from plants."
     I never thought that I would raise a vegan, especially after my own failed attempt at vegetarianism in the seventh grade (my week-long stint ended with mom's "hamburgersonthegrill"). Yet here he was, asking for only plant food.
     "O.K. We'll have corn."
     "Good! I'm a brachiosaurus."
The boys' fascination with herbivorous dinosaurs began with the book Maxium Triceratops, in which chapter two explains why Triceratops could actually defeat T-rex and consequently proves the physical superiority of the herbivorous. Now I don't want to knock Dr. Bakker's theory, but we all know that meat-eaters are at the top of the food chain. I mean, let's take Weird Al (vegan) and Mr. T (omnivorous). Whose side of the ring would you rather be on?
    Anyway, I don't think that I have to worry about any protein deficiencies yet. After building an Apatosaurus den and sleeping in it last night, the boys woke up as Antarctic explorers. Now they're running around shouting about rescue missions and penguins.

2 comments:

Kim said...

There is a glaring omission in this post which needs to be addressed. You forgot to mention the TAA* who procured the dino book in the first place.

Haven't you learned that I NEED VALIDATION?

*Totally awesome aunt

Anonymous said...

Well, you know, Al was a lanky guy back when he was young and omnivorous and probably always will be, but he can lift a 20+ lb. accordion over his head with one hand and put his foot behind his head, which isn't bad for a guy who will be 50 this year. Of course, he's not as much of a pure vegan as he'd like to be. Hard to resist the cheese pizza on the band bus sometimes. I'll bet your braciosaurus would have trouble saying no to pizza too. ~OE